Sunday, January 27, 2008

So how long does it last?

A common question I get asked is "OK. I touched the StaticOff switchplate. I saw the light bleep. How long am I protected from static zap? How long is it safe for me to touch my DVD player before I risk giving it a static shock that will be the 'kiss of death'?"

The answer is simple: It depends.

I am sorry. Really, I am not being flippant. It is just that so many variables play into this question: for example, this 'safe period' will vary according to what you wear, how dry it is, how tight your socks fit, what kind of floor are you standing on, the type of heating system that you use, and many others.

We have seen cases where it took one almost 30 minutes to collect charge, while I personally need to discharge every 5-10 minutes, when the relative humidity is above 17-18%. When the relative humidity is below 17%, almost everyone collects high static charge real fast.

So what does one do? Simple. Discharge often. As I walk about my house, I got into the habit of simply flicking my finger every time pass a StaticOff plate. Since I have them throughout most of the house, that is simple. I have almost forgotten what it means to get zapped.

That's it for today. Next post, I will try to answer some more questions.

No comments: